Thursday, August 14, 2008

New Perspective

I had a really long talk with my boss's boss over dinner tonight. In many ways, it worked out better that my immediate manager wasn't there. I voiced some of my major concerns and frustrations with work, and got more-or-less straight answers.

I got to ask the big question, too. About where I fit in, after this project. And how this project will reflect on my career with our company. Because if there's nothing coming my way when this over, seriously, it's been a long, stressful, thankless year and I can get that at any of several more compartmentalized jobs.

He made me no major promises--and really it's better that way--except that I will get vacation when this is over, and that the company will find a way to cover my post for the three weeks I want off in Fall of '09. He intimated that the company is looking for where I fit in, in a longer-term scenario. We'll see about all of that when/if it comes, but for now I feel less pessimistic and miserable about work.

He also said "Thank you." That goes an awfully long way these days.