Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Much Ado About Nothing (again)

Another chapter in the decades-long argument about the Mt. Soledad cross ended yesterday, with a federal judge ruling that the cross was more a secular image commemorating war veterans than a religious symbol. (Union-Tribune Article)

*finger spinny*

I, personally, kind of like the cross. It's a landmark in my mind more than it is a symbol of anything else. Likewise, I don't mind the San Diego Mission, Presidio, or other architecturally interesting sites hearkening back to less politically correct times. Having survived fourth grade history, it comes as no surprise to me that the predominant imagery in the region has a Christian flavor.

I also don't care.

I'm having a hard time understanding why people are so upset about a giant cross that some people may see as an object of their particular religious beliefs. No one's forcing anyone else to personally assign a religious meaning to the cross. Everyone in San Diego has the option to view it like I do: as a landmark. Or perhaps as a controversial conversation starter.

On the flip-side, people have a right to seek arbitration for perceived wrongs. While I find the ongoing legal debate somewhat farcical, it's good that the cross's opponents have a way to get feedback on their complaints and concerns from a remote party with no personal investment.

No comments: