Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Log files & giant lizards

I'm sitting at work, babysitting a device and its log file, waiting for it to screw up (again) in a particular unpredictable way. Gotta love intermittent faults. They keep life interesting, if nothing else. I get to deal with another engineer, from another company, on the opposite coast, who talks about a million words per minute and assumes I'm fluent in their diagnostics suite. Awesome.

I've begun visualizing my project as a robo-Godzilla, storming through the streets of Tokyo, stomping on everything in its path, leaving death, destruction and mayhem in its wake. ... It's calming, really, imagining my robot as a source of great catastrophic power. Kinda like putting your carefully crafted Sim City into multiple-distaster-mode and just watching the whole thing burn to the ground or get tossed around by a magnificent tornado. It's rather freeing. I'd say it's very Zen, but it's a bit too destructive for that.

Of course, this isn't a simulation or a game. It's real life, with real consequences, and real risks, and real customers with real expectations, which is why I'm sitting here staring at an ever-growing status log, waiting for an aberration to announce itself.

I feel mildly que sera sera about work. Some day--I hope--this will be over. I'm no longer hoping for a particular day, or week, or month. Just that there will be an end. Likewise, I'm happy if my day ends in progress of any variety, however big or small.

No comments: